Friday, April 15, 2011

In honour of my recently renovated blog

In 1945 Elizabeth Smart wrote a book about a passionate love affair called 'By Grand Central Station I Sat Down and Wept'. During my undergraduate degree I carried it around in my bag for almost a year, but pathetically I never finished it. It's considered a masterpiece of the 'prose-poetry' genre, which to me seemed a bit like being a gold medallist in grass growing - sure, the result might be beautiful, but anything beyond a cursory appreciation felt a lot like hard work.

Also, for someone who'd made up her mind that she wanted to live in New York, there was a little too much weeping and a little too little Grand Central Station.

Grand Central endures as one of my most favourite places in the city. Every time I arrive feels like the first time; I'm a visitor all over again and I wish I lived in New York. Then I remember that, miraculously, I do.

In the past few weeks I've had time to read over this wayward blog, and I realised that for a bunch of ramblings collected under the heading New York Minutes, it's a little short on the New York.

So I changed the backdrop, to remind me of my own passionate love affair, and in honour of that, I present a random collection of Grand Central Minutes.

Things I have done at Grand Central Station

1. Sipped a cappucino, solo, at the coffee bar in the food court, while waiting for the train.
2. Had cocktails at the famed Oyster Bar, while waiting for the train.
3. Kissed a boy in the Grand Hall, while waiting for the train.
4. Chatted to the chefs at the Patisserie, while waiting for the train.
5. Stared in awe at the cathedral ceiling with a man named Gus, who I met on the train.
6. Had a secret conversation via the 'Whisper Wall', with the touring cast of Macbeth.
7. Boarded the train and ridden along the Hudson River to Cold Spring, in time to perform Shakespeare under a tent.
8. Boarded the train and ridden along the icy Hudson River to Cold Spring, in time to perform Dickens by the fire place.
9. Toasted my engagement over a glass of champagne at Campbell's Apartment.
10. Raised a glass at Cipriani Dolci in tribute to my friend and teacher, after learning of his death.


Things I have NEVER done at Grand Central Station

1. Sat down and wept.

No comments: